Monday, December 26, 2011

Emmissive Image

This entry will show how you can create a light source from a texture in the Cycles renderer.  For this example, I'll create a very rudimentary moonlit ocean scene.  To start off, I downloaded and modified a nice image of a full moon.  The moon will be the light source in the scene.

Next I modeled the scene as a series of deformed planes to make the ocean, and a simple plane as the backdrop.  I used the Image to Plane add-on to get the right dimensions of the background.

For the material of the background I selected Emission, and then for the color selected Image Texture.  From here I was able to select my night moon image, and increase the strength a little bit.

The final rendered scene, with the moon acting as the sole light source, save for the background lighting color which I made a dark blue (to color the water).


No comments:

Post a Comment